Why did the five “wise” bridesmaids not share their extra oil with the “unwise” or “foolish” ones whose lamps began to flicker around midnight? It would have been the charitable thing to do.
The story makes it clear that some of the bridesmaids were ill-prepared to participate in the wedding rituals.
The bridegroom was a bit late. The foolish bridesmaids did not have enough oil to keep their lamps burning, so they missed out. Lesson learned.
If I were to improve the story, I would have created another “teaching moment”. I would have had the good ones actually give away some of their oil to the foolish ones to teach about the virtue of “sharing”. It would have achieved two lessons with one story — one about preparedness and the other about generosity.
The parable is a metaphor for the end-times, that time we find out our final destination.
We are the bridesmaids in the story. We are those who want to take part in the wedding feast that is heaven.
God is the bridegroom who opens heaven’s door, to those who have prepared wisely and well.
It is a time we are each on our own. We are either prepared for heaven, or we are not. It is a binary decision, with only two possibilities.
By that time, it is too late for last minute fixes or changes. The earthly pilgrimage is ended. We are judged according to our particular situation then, the situation that we have made for ourselves.
A sudden offer of oil from the wise bridesmaids, neither, no matter its abundance or how generously given, is any longer of any benefit to the foolish unprepared.
–Deacon Ricardo Santiago, Notre Dame Cathedral, Ottawa Canada
As tensions around the world have increased, the belief that the prophecies in the Bible are talking about modern day is increasingly common. Here’s why.
- Chaos in the Middle East: There seems to be an endless stream of tension between Israel and the surrounding countries without any end in sight.The Middle East seems to remain the ongoing focal point of world conflict.
- The Islamic State: The battles described in scripture are slated to take place in the Middle East. A small majority of Islamic radicals like ISIS are causing the major problems.
- Israel’s Re-emergence: There was a 1948 return of Israel, after a Jewish state was absent from the map for more than 19,000 years as predicted biblically “For I will take you out of the nations; I will father you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land.” Ezekiel 36:24
- Shifts in Morality: The lawlessness of our culture is increasing and in turn creating a hostile atmosphere. As our culture has secularized and paganized, Christianity, the Church, and Christians have come under increasing attack as “intolerant bigots.” Jesus and Paul prophesied that the destruction of society is a sign that the end times are near. “Most people’s love will grow cold” Matthew 24:12
- Spread of the Gospel: The Christian gospel continues to be spread in even the most remote and hard-to-reach geographic places throughout the world. “This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” Matthew 24:14
As we believe that we are each made in the image and likeness of God. And with God in us are wisdom and strength that make us ready and prepared for favorable judgment at the end of our days on earth.
But this does not necessarily mean that today, right now, we are all ready to enter into the eternal kingdom of God in heaven.
We are born pristine, with the spirit of God alive and well within us! From our birth, God himself has readied us to join him in heaven.
However, human pride, carelessness, and weakness can lead to bad choices in life, wrong decisions that wipe out our readiness for the kingdom
Thanks to God’s abounding mercy and forgiveness, that readiness for heaven can be restored. But it takes wisdom to discern God’s will and humility to hope in God’s forgiveness.
In the same way that God is love, God is also wisdom itself. Therefore, when one seeks God and welcomes him, one is filled with wisdom and love.
- “For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” Proverbs 2:6
- “With God are wisdom and strength; he has counsel and understanding.” Job 12-13
Psalm 63 is a beautiful prayer for one who seeks God and yearns for the love wisdom that God brings:
“O God, you are my God, for you I long; for you my soul is thirsting. My body pines for you like a dry, weary land without water. “My soul clings to you; your right hand holds me fast.”
May this yearning always be in our heart so that we are ever ready to meet our God at any hour, on any day.
HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN?
- Christians don’t shout, “I am clean living!” They whisper “I was lost, but now I’m found and forgiven.”
- Christians don’t speak of this with pride. They confess that they stumble and need Christ to be their guide.
- Christians don’t say,” I’m strong.” They say they are trying to be strong because they are really weak and need strength.
- Christians don’t brag of success, but they admit that they are failing and they need God to clean up the mess.
- Christians don’t claim to be perfect. Their flaws are far too visible but God believes they are worth it.
- Christians still feel the sting of pain and they have their share of headaches but they call upon His Name.
- Christians are not holier than thou. They are also simple sinners who receive God’s unbelievable Grace.
Christianity on a Table Napkin:
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
God the Father will wipe every tear from our eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, crying out or pain. We will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is The Holy Spirit will have made all things new. Eternal joy will have begun. “For the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is His name.” Luke 1: 49
Are we not like Barabbas justly condemned for murder, but saved by the innocent Jesus on the cross? Are we not like the adulterous woman, deserving of death by stoning, to whom Jesus says, “I do not condemn you”? And Jesus saved them both. In fact, Jesus came to earth specifically to look for and save those who were lost.
“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD.
“Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. Isaiah 1:18
You may need some counseling with a pastor, priest or competent Christian worker, who will introduce you to this Short Course on Who is Jesus? Start by reading the Gospel according to Luke and then John: It is all about love and you will love it. Read several verses before going to bed and read the same verse upon arising. Soaking yourself in the love of God defends you from attacks of the enemy.
Healing and Deliverance (Ctrl + Click to follow Link)
- Abuse and Trauma
- A Vision of Hell
- Breaking Free of Controlling Spirits
- Can a Smart Person believe in God
- Cigarette and Drug Bust
- Deliverance from Depression
- Deliverance from Drugs and Addiction
- Deliverance from Prison
- Deliverance PowerPoint
- Divine Healing
- Do you Know an Alcoholic?
- Don’t be Afraid of Fear
- Gluttony is Not Merely Overeating
- God’s Protection and Blessing
- Healing and Deliverance General Information
- Healing and Deliverance Instructions
- Healing Hands: Father Melvin Doucette
- Healing of Relationships
- How to Keep Your Healing Once you have Received it
- Insomnia and Deliverance
- Jesus Cures a Blind Man at Bethsaida
- Joy and Sorrow
- Let’s Start
- Lust and its Brother Pornography
- Physical Healing
- Power of Healing
- Prisoner of Unforgiveness
- The Healing Power of Jesus
- The High Stakes of Gambling Addiction
- Three Ways of Self-Deliverance
- Ungodly Soul Ties
- Ungodly Superstitious Beliefs
- Your Part
Where do we go from here?
- 12 Functions of the Holy Spirit
- At the Name of Jesus every Knee should Bow
- Baptized in the Spirit: Being Born Again
- Born Again for Dummies
- Does God have a Special Place in His Heart for Canada?
- Embracing the Call
- From Sea to Sea: Nations keeping God’s Law
- God Wants You!
- God’s Will for YOU
- I Can’t Find God: an Anguish Cry!
- I Have a Right to my own Opinion
- Is there Life after Death?
- JESUS IS MY LORD
- Jesus Says to Come to Me – I Will Make You Happy.
- Joy and Sorrow
- Knowing God
- Life After Near-Death Experiences
- Life can be wonderful but brief
- Living in Glory
- Meditation and Contemplation
- Pathway to Holiness
- Release in the Spirit
- Something Wonderful is about to Happen!
- Spirituality for Dummies
- Suffering does not Rob you of Joy
- The Blood of Jesus Christ
- The Difference between Christianity
- The Faith Factor: We Cannot Please God without Faith:.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT: the Principal Agent of Mission
- The Life and Person of the Holy Spirit
- The Name of Jesus
- The Million Dollar Question
- The Person and Work of The Holy Spirit
- THE PROPHETIC FULFILLMENT
- The Seven Words of Jesus on the Cross
- The Word of God
- Trauma and Abuse
- We Reap what We Sow
- Welcome to God
- What Does God Really Want?
- What does it mean to be HOLY?
- What Is the Difference Between Spirit and Soul?
- What’s Your SQ?
- Who Am I In Christ?
- Who do they say that I am?
- Why Pray?
- World Missions
- Would you like to be Baptized in the Holy Spirit?
OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS:
- A Micro Hydro Electric System: no dams: HugENERGY.us
- An Irrigation System: NORTHydro.com
- A Rabbit and Fish Farm: AfriCAPITALISM.us
- An Agroforestry Intercrop System: LivingWaterIs.com
- The Charitable Arm: SunnyUp.net
- Living Water Micro Finance: LivingWaterMicroFinance.org
- Thunder of Justice: ThunderofJustice.com
- Deliverance Is: Deliveranceis.com