While the keto diet is touted for its fat-burning effects, there’s growing evidence that it can help a range of diseases, including migraine headaches, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Epilepsy Autism and Depression.
These also include psychiatric disorders like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and attention or memory problems.
Doctors know that fasting reduced the amount of seizures, and eating mainly fat and little else mimicked the effect of starvation in the brain: each molecule of ketone (good fat) bodies produces more energy than glucose, but less oxidative stress, so the brain and the muscles work more efficiently. This effect of ketone bodies as energetic boosters is very important in migraine patients, or migraineurs, because they have an energetic deficit in the brain.
Ketone bodies also have an anti-inflammatory effect. The ketone bodies dampen the neural inflammation that’s both common in epilepsy and migraines and modulate the cortical excitability.
It is a sustainable way to eat a lot of plant based foods, healthy nourishing, brain healthy fats, and it has been shown to have several anti-aging components to it.
It is often referred to as a fasting mimicking diet, because it has the same benefits as fasting in terms of weight loss, insulin sensitivity, neurotrophic and neurogenic effects on the brain, improved cholesterol markers and insulin resistance.
A 16-week study also found a 16% reduction in blood sugar levels. Additionally, 7 of the 21 participants were able to completely stop all diabetic medication.
It should be noted that when the body is initially adapting to burning fat instead of glucose, a period known as the “keto flu,” one might feel worse at first. So it may take several weeks or longer for most people to adapt to a low carb diet.
During that transition time when you are first reducing your carb intake, your body has to make new enzymes to burn fat instead of glucose. While it’s busy making these enzymes, and you are eating less carbs, your brain chemistry is changing, and it’s possible to experience lower mood during this time, but it passes once the body adjusts and is able to level out. As your body adapts and learns how to burn fat instead of sugar, mood levels out, and the depressive feelings lift.
KETO DIET SUCCESS STORIES
In 2009, a 12-month case study details the experience of a 70-year old overweight woman with chronic schizophrenia who was prescribed a diet limited to 20 grams of carbohydrate per day. She noted significant improvement in severe symptoms beginning only eight days after starting the diet. She reported complete resolution of auditory and visual hallucinations–with which she’d suffered since age seven.
A 20-month case study of a man with Alzheimer’s disease whose cognition and function significantly improved with the use of ketone supplements
A high carb diet has resulted in severe depressive episodes that come in cycles, and worsen with the amount of carbohydrate I eat. Conversely, when I stick to a low carb diet, my mood evens out, I feel a lot better, and I’m not dependent on the next sugar fix to feel good. For me, low carb eating is a great depression treatment.
THE HOLY GRAIL
While the keto diet is touted for its fat-burning effects, there’s growing evidence that it can help a range of diseases, including migraine headaches and depression.
“Being in a mild state of ketosis is really the place to be,” neurologist David Perlmutter says in the film, adding that fat powers the brain better than carbs do.
A top neurosurgeon who specializes in brain tumors at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, “I really think the ketogenic diet is going to be…part of that magic bullet, the holy grail of treating people with this disease.”
LESS CARBS, MORE FAT
Normally, the body burns mostly carbohydrates for energy. But by starving the body of carbs, a ketogenic diet forces a person into a state of ketosis: Their body burns its own fat, producing ketone bodies. These ketones then travel to the brain and feed the brain, replacing glucose.
When the brain draws its energy from ketones, fewer free radicals are produced, allowing our natural antioxidants to easily neutralize them without becoming depleted.
There are positive effects of ketogenesis on chronic migraine patients. There are fewer side-effects and adverse events compared to common preventive pharmacologic treatments
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
Certain foods containing omega-3 fatty acids are especially good for your brain. These include:
- Certain cold-water fish (salmon (highest), bluefish, herring, mackerel, rainbow trout, sardines, tuna, and whitefish)
- Fatty cuts of beef, pork, and lamb
- Olive oil and Coconut oil (organic)
- Nuts: Macadamia, Almond are best (Cashew nuts: minimum) (Adds vitamin E, for better brain functioning.
- Whole Eggs
- Butter (grass fed) Mayonnaise (organic) and some salad dressing
- Cheese (Aged, Cream)
THERE HAVE BEEN SOME STUDIES THAT SUGGEST THAT THE LIST OF SOME TRANS FATS ( those in red) HAVE BEEN DEBUNKED.
Detailed list of what to eat on keto
There are many things that increase your level of ketosis. Here they are, from most to least important:
- Restrict carbohydrates to 20 digestible grams per day or less – a strict low-carb diet. Fiber does not have to be restricted, it might even be beneficial.
How much is 20 grams of carbs? Use our visual guide to find out. Or simply use our keto recipes and meal plans, they are designed to keep you under 20 grams with no counting required.
Note that quite often, just restricting carbs to very low levels results in ketosis. So this may be all you need to do. But the rest of the list below will help make sure that you’re successful.
2. Restrict protein to moderate levels. On a keto diet you should eat the protein you need, but not much more. This is because excess protein is converted to glucose in the body, reducing ketosis.
If possible, stay at or below 1 gram of protein per day, per kg of body weight – about 70 grams of protein per day if you weigh 70 kilos (154 pounds).
The most common mistake that stops people from getting into ketosis is too much protein. Our keto recipes are designed with the right amount of protein.
3. Eat enough fat to feel satisfied. This is the big difference between a keto diet and starvation is that also results in ketosis. A keto diet is sustainable, whereas starvation is not. When starving you’re likely to feel tired and hungry and give up, but a keto diet is sustainable and can make you feel great. So eat enough to feel satisfied, and if you’re hungry all the time, you should probably add more fat to your meals (like more olive oil, etc.).
4. Avoid snacking when not hungry. Eating more often than you need, just eating for fun and because there’s food around, reduces ketosis and slows down weight loss. Though using keto snacks will minimize the damage, and is fine when you’re hungry.
5. If necessary, add intermittent fasting. For example, skip breakfast and only eat during 8 hours of the day, fasting for 16 hours (i.e. 16:8 fasting) . This is very effective at boosting ketone levels, as well as accelerating weight loss and type 2 diabetes reversal. It’s also usually easy to do on keto.
6. Drink enough water Keep a small bottle of water in each part of your living area, so that it is more conducive to drinking enough during the day. The liver needs a lot of water to deal with the new surge of keytones: even 8 glasses a day. As you get older this becomes far more important so that you can flush out all the impurities in your body.
7. Add exercise – adding any kind of physical activity while on low carb can increase ketone levels moderately. It can also help speed up weight loss and diabetes type 2 reversal slightly. Exercise is not necessary to get into ketosis, but it may be helpful.
8. Sleep enough – for most people at least seven hours per night on average – and keep stress under control. Sleep deprivation and stress hormones raise blood sugar levels, slowing ketosis and weight loss a bit. Plus they make much it harder to stick to your chosen diet, and resist temptations. So while handling sleep and stress will not get you into ketosis on it’s own, it’s still worth thinking about.
TRY TO AVOID
the “bad” fats (saturated and processed fats), as they’re the ones that have been processed or hydrogenated and remain solid when refrigerated. They are typically found in:
- Commercial baked goods: pies, cakes, doughnuts, cookies, etc.
- Crackers, potato chips, corn chips, cheese puffs, pretzels, etc.
- Processed foods and fast foods
- Whole milk, ice cream
- Processed Cheese
Here’s what you should avoid on keto – foods containing a lot of sugar and starch. This includes starchy foods like some fruit, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. These foods are very high in carbs.
The numbers are grams of net carbs per 100 grams.
HYPOGLYCEMIA MITIGATION STRATEGIES
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) seems to predominantly a risk if the ketogenic diet is started with a fast, and blood sugar levels should be checked every 6–8 hours during the first few days of the diet. Generally the ketogenic diet helps stabilize, and normalize blood sugar.
- Eat Every 3-4 Hrs: Eat every 3-4 hours when in the beginning stages of a ketogenic diet. This will help keep you satiated and blood sugar balanced.
- Hydrating and Mineral Rich Foods: Consume plenty of hydrating, mineral-rich foods and use salt: snack on celery, cucumbers.
- Use Magnesium Supplementation
- Drink Mineral Rich Drinks: Instead of plain water, drink mineral rich beverages between meals. This includes organic broths or an electrolyte drink.
Ketosis changes your fluid and mineral balance. For this reason, salt your food and maybe take electrolytes or magnesium. To turn the basic liquid into an electrolyte or sports drink, add some or all of these ingredients:
- Salt – A high quality salt adds sodium and other minerals
- Calcium or Magnesium – Adding a high quality calcium magnesium powder helps replenish minerals
- Juice – Optional but adds sweetness and natural sugars if needed during exercise
- Natural Flavors –in the form of fresh ginger, fresh herbs
MENU FOR 7-DAY KETOGENIC DIET
Breakfast – bacon, tomato, and eggs
Lunch – olive oil, chicken meat and feta cheese salad
Dinner – steamed asparagus and grilled salmon, butter
Breakfast – basil, eggs, tomatoes and goat cheese
Lunch – almond milk, peanut butter, stevia, milkshake and cocoa butter
Dinner – veggies, meatballs, cheddar cheese
Breakfast – keto milkshake
Lunch – avocado, olive oil, and prawns
Dinner – broccoli salad, pork chops, Parmesan cheese
Breakfast – omelet with spices, onions, peppers, and avocado
Lunch – salsa celery, handful of nuts and guacamole
Dinner – cheese, steamed veggies and stuffed chicken
Breakfast – Omelet with tomatoes and cheese
Lunch – Use the leftovers from day #4
Dinner – salad, eggs, and mushrooms
Breakfast – omelet with veggies and ham
Lunch – Handful of nuts, ham, and cheese
Dinner – salad, eggs and beef steak
Breakfast – eggs with bacon and mushrooms
Lunch – guacamole and salsa cheese hamburger
Dinner – salad, eggs and beef steak
A FRIENDLY KETO DIET
If you’re interested in a bulletproof version of the keto diet, follow these five steps:
- Skip the carb refeed day. Bulletproof is a cyclical keto diet that puts your body in and out of ketosis once a week, to make the diet more sustainable and prevent common issues like dry eyes, cravings, and even unhealthy gut bacteria levels. But if you want to try full keto, increase your fat and limit your carbs. Aim for 70-85% of your calories from fat, every day.
- Remember that it might take up to two weeks for your body to make the shift from burning carbs and sugar to fat. The keto flu can leave you feeling tired, achy, and irritable, but it should pass. Stay the course and you should soon feel better than before you started. (One source claimed that keto flu is manageable: you just need more electrolytes, magnesium, potassium and sodium. Full adaptation takes more like 3 months; you won’t be able to exercise as hard until your body can provide energy quickly enough.)
- Monitor your ketone levels using urine strips, ketone breath meters, or blood meters.
- Be mindful of hidden carbs in sources like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cashews, chocolate, and leeks. Use a food tracker like MyKeto until you get clear on how much fat/carbs/protein you’re actually eating.
- Watch your protein intake. It’s common for people on keto to consume too much meat. More than 20-30% protein in your diet, and your body will begin to convert protein to sugar, which bumps you out of ketosis. Go for moderate protein with a high-fat sauce of your choice to tide you over.
Ketogenic diets rapidly increase the amount of fat you burn during rest, daily activity and exercise
JESUS WISHES TO SPEAK TO YOU.
THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE FAITH
“I love you My brother Melvin and all My brothers and sisters who walk with Me every day. You know that I have all power and I showed this power at different times when I was on earth. I showed it especially by healing the sick, bringing back the dead to life, giving sight to the blind and getting the cripple to walk.
The fact that I healed people showed that indeed I am the Son of God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. In My divine power, I can do all kinds of miracles which no human being can do on their own. It is true that I gave some people the gift of healing and they heal people in My name.
However, they cannot heal those who do not have faith. It is necessary that they believe in Me and come to follow Me. The healing of people shows you, My friends, that I am the Redeemer of the world and that I was sent by My Father to live among you and to offer Myself to Him for your salvation. Yes, I offered My life on the cross to pay the price for your sins and to open heaven for you. Now come and follow Me and you will be saved. I bless you all.”
The above messages came to Father Melvin Doucette:
Fr. Melvin Doucette was ordained to the priesthood on and joined the Missionaries of Africa for 29 years in Africa. In contemplative prayer every morning, Fr. Doucette receives by interior locution “messages from heaven” to share with the public.
Of course, there are those who say “I believe in Jesus Christ”, but they don’t affect the way they live. The answer is not that we now have to add hard work to our faith; rather, we haven’t truly understood or believed in Jesus at all.
Some people say that Jesus is just a crutch. They obviously have never had an encounter with Jesus.
Today’s people who live through near death experiences are talking about the same thing Jesus was talking about two thousand years ago.
Near Death Experience
The proof of heaven starts with thousands of people around the world who claim to have had near-death experiences. (NDEs).
God divinely inspired the BIBLE . How do we know? Each of eight accurate predictions show a high probability mathematically. The probability of one individual fulfilling eight prophecies have odds of 1 in 10 17 (1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000). Jesus Christ fulfilled all prophecies, therefore the Bible MUST BE TRUE.
The Old Testament indicates another 40 astonishing predictions.
Christianity experiences stunning growth—from approximately 3.8 million adherents in China in 1956 to an estimated 87 to 100 million Christians today.
In the end, one Christian conversion will benefit the whole family. The gifts of the Holy Spirit of healing and deliverance will help the whole family. A prayer of deliverance of evil spirits will leave any member of the family with a complete sense of peace immediately. A prayer of healing from a Christian disciple produces 80% healing. The remaining healing comes from continued prayer of praise and thanksgiving until all the healing is complete. This healing comes from the Holy Spirit through the power in the Name of Jesus Christ. No other god or deity or doctor uses this power. This proves the TRUTH OF CHRISTIANITY.
BILLIONS OF CHRISTIANS CAN’ T ALL BE WRONG!
Christianity is not a philosophy, but it is a relationship with God, your Creator, in Christ TODAY. It is not knowledge of abstract principles. How do we know this? Healing takes place TODAY in the Name of Jesus Christ.
Many Christian disciples use the gift of healing. They also use deliverance to deliver away evil spirits influencing people. These evil spirits cause depression, addictions and illness through all forms of stress. Only the Name of Jesus Christ makes healing and deliverance possible.
HOW IS JESUS STILL ALIVE TODAY?
Jesus is alive today! He heals today (through His followers) and in many cases it is realized immediately. How else can you explain the explosion of Christianity, the world’s largest religion, on earth: 2.2 billion adherents, nearly a third (31 percent) of all 6.9 billion people on Earth.
Christians know and feel His Presence; they communicate with Him personally; Christian prayers are always answered.
This author has been given the Gift of Healing only because he is a Christian Lay Missionary, who travels two to three places every year. On his last trip to Columbia he successfully transferred his Gift to his Spanish translators, who were able to heal as he did. He has healed Muslims to their great surprise.
He also delivers away evil spirits along with their healing. All those who are delivered from evil spirits feel a complete physical sense of peace.
DREAMS AND VISIONS
God can give a message to those non-Christians to change their heart. God knows faith will be developed eventually. God will come to you in the form of dreams or visions. So be sensitive to any dreams or visions, when you ask God for it earnestly.