It’s no secret that most people are overworked, under-rested, and living on a poor diet. It’s also no coincidence that the modern advice to eat a diet high in carbohydrates, low in fat, and with constant snacking or small meals throughout the day has coincided with a rise in diabetes, obesity, and mental issues like anxiety and depression.
Depression is no joke. It’s serious. It affects approximately 3 million people every year, just in the US. Approximately 1 in 5 in the US and Canada will experience a mental health illness in any given year , and almost 7% of the population will have experienced a major depressive episode in the past year.
Starting a ketogenic diet, removing high-carb refined foods, losing weight, and eating whole foods is bound to help with mood and make you happier. This alone could have benefits for those with depression. They have studied rats on a ketogenic diet displayed less behavioural despair — meaning they exhibited less hopelessness, and they were more active than the control group not eating keto.
The general consensus is that the brain functions more cleanly and efficiently when a significant portion of its energy comes from ketones, calming overactive and overly-reactive brain cells.
It should be noted that when the body is initially adapting to burning fat instead of glucose, a period known as the “keto flu,” one might feel worse at first. So it may take several weeks or longer for most people to adapt to a low carb diet.
During that transition time when you are first reducing your carb intake, your body has to make new enzymes to burn fat instead of glucose. While it’s busy making these enzymes, and you are eating less carbs, your brain chemistry is changing, and it’s possible to experience lower mood during this time, but it passes once the body adjusts and is able to level out. As your body adapts and learns how to burn fat instead of sugar, mood levels out, and the depressive feelings lift.
KETO DIET DEPRESSION SUCCESS STORIES
A high carb diet has resulted in severe depressive episodes that come in cycles, and worsen with the amount of carbohydrate I eat. Conversely, when I stick to a low carb diet, my mood evens out, I feel a lot better, and I’m not dependent on the next sugar fix to feel good. For me, low carb eating is a great depression treatment.
For lunch, I ate eggs cooked in butter, and some full-fat cheese. For dinner, I ate meat. The more fat that I ate, the happier I felt. I enjoyed having energy. I didn’t loathe getting out of bed. I just started to enjoy life.
After six months on keto, I have lost 40 pounds. But the best result is how I feel. I’ve gone from waking up with dread and fighting suicidal thoughts off and on most days, to feeling energetic, positive. It is like night and day!
In 2012 there was a case study of two women with bipolar II disorder who ate a ketogenic diet (one for two years, the other for three years): they found that the diet was superior to the pharmaceutical supplements.
THE HOLY GRAIL
While the keto diet is touted for its fat-burning effects, there’s growing evidence that it can help a range of diseases, including migraine headaches and depression.
“Being in a mild state of ketosis is really the place to be,” neurologist David Perlmutter says in the film, adding that fat powers the brain better than carbs do.
A top neurosurgeon who specializes in brain tumors at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, “I really think the ketogenic diet is going to be…part of that magic bullet, the holy grail of treating people with this disease.”
LESS CARBS, MORE FAT
Normally, the body burns mostly carbohydrates for energy. But by starving the body of carbs, a ketogenic diet forces a person into a state of ketosis: Their body burns its own fat, producing ketone bodies. These ketones then travel to the brain and feed the brain, replacing glucose.
When the brain draws its energy from ketones, fewer free radicals are produced, allowing our natural antioxidants to easily neutralize them without becoming depleted.
There are positive effects of ketogenesis on chronic migraine patients. There are fewer side-effects and adverse events compared to common preventive pharmacologic treatments
Doctors know that fasting reduced the amount of seizures, and eating mainly fat and little else mimicked the effect of starvation in the brain: each molecule of ketone (good fat) bodies produces more energy than glucose, but less oxidative stress, so the brain and the muscles work more efficiently. This effect of ketone bodies as energetic boosters is very important in migraine patients, or migraineurs, because they have an energetic deficit in the brain.
Ketone bodies also have an anti-inflammatory effect. The ketone bodies dampen the neural inflammation that’s both common in epilepsy and migraines and modulate the cortical excitability.
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
Certain foods containing omega-3 fatty acids are especially good for your brain. These include:
- Certain cold-water fish (salmon (highest), bluefish, herring, mackerel, rainbow trout, sardines, tuna, and whitefish)
- Fatty cuts of beef, pork, and lamb
- Olive oil and Coconut oil (organic)
- Nuts: Macadamia, Almond are best (Cashew nuts: minimum) (Adds vitamin E, for better brain functioning.
- Whole Eggs
- Butter (grass fed) Mayonnaise (organic) and some salad dressing
- Cheese (Aged, Cream)
THERE HAVE BEEN SOME STUDIES THAT SUGGEST THAT THE LIST OF SOME TRANS FATS ( those in red) HAVE BEEN DEBUNKED.
Detailed list of what to eat on keto
There are many things that increase your level of ketosis. Here they are, from most to least important:
- Restrict carbohydrates to 20 digestible grams per day or less – a strict low-carb diet. Fiber does not have to be restricted, it might even be beneficial.
How much is 20 grams of carbs? Use our visual guide to find out. Or simply use our keto recipes and meal plans, they are designed to keep you under 20 grams with no counting required.
Note that quite often, just restricting carbs to very low levels results in ketosis. So this may be all you need to do. But the rest of the list below will help make sure that you’re successful.
2. Restrict protein to moderate levels. On a keto diet you should eat the protein you need, but not much more. This is because excess protein is converted to glucose in the body, reducing ketosis.
If possible, stay at or below 1 gram of protein per day, per kg of body weight – about 70 grams of protein per day if you weigh 70 kilos (154 pounds).
The most common mistake that stops people from getting into ketosis is too much protein. Our keto recipes are designed with the right amount of protein.
3. Eat enough fat to feel satisfied. This is the big difference between a keto diet and starvation is that also results in ketosis. A keto diet is sustainable, whereas starvation is not. When starving you’re likely to feel tired and hungry and give up, but a keto diet is sustainable and can make you feel great. So eat enough to feel satisfied, and if you’re hungry all the time, you should probably add more fat to your meals (like more olive oil, etc.).
4. Avoid snacking when not hungry. Eating more often than you need, just eating for fun and because there’s food around, reduces ketosis and slows down weight loss. Though using keto snacks will minimize the damage, and is fine when you’re hungry.
5. If necessary, add intermittent fasting. For example, skip breakfast and only eat during 8 hours of the day, fasting for 16 hours (i.e. 16:8 fasting) . This is very effective at boosting ketone levels, as well as accelerating weight loss and type 2 diabetes reversal. It’s also usually easy to do on keto.
6. Drink enough water Keep a small bottle of water in each part of your living area, so that it is more conducive to drinking enough during the day. The liver needs a lot of water to deal with the new surge of keytones: even 8 glasses a day. As you get older this becomes far more important so that you can flush out all the impurities in your body.
7. Add exercise – adding any kind of physical activity while on low carb can increase ketone levels moderately. It can also help speed up weight loss and diabetes type 2 reversal slightly. Exercise is not necessary to get into ketosis, but it may be helpful.
8. Sleep enough – for most people at least seven hours per night on average – and keep stress under control. Sleep deprivation and stress hormones raise blood sugar levels, slowing ketosis and weight loss a bit. Plus they make much it harder to stick to your chosen diet, and resist temptations. So while handling sleep and stress will not get you into ketosis on it’s own, it’s still worth thinking about.
TRY TO AVOID
the “bad” fats (saturated and processed fats), as they’re the ones that have been processed or hydrogenated and remain solid when refrigerated. They are typically found in:
- Commercial baked goods: pies, cakes, doughnuts, cookies, etc.
- Crackers, potato chips, corn chips, cheese puffs, pretzels, etc.
- Processed foods and fast foods
- Whole milk, ice cream
- Processed Cheese
Here’s what you should avoid on keto – foods containing a lot of sugar and starch. This includes starchy foods like some fruit, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. These foods are very high in carbs.
The numbers are grams of net carbs per 100 grams.
THE SWEET AVERAGE AMERICAN
The big sugar eaters consume 500 calories a day from
sugar — that’s 31 teaspoons. Those who tamed their sweet
tooth the most, by contrast, were taking in about 160
calories a day from sugar — or about 10 teaspoons per
Unfortunately, most Americans have a sugar habit that is
pushing toward the danger zone.
The average American is consuming 22 teaspoons a day.
That’s about three times what’s recommended.
HYPOGLYCEMIA MITIGATION STRATEGIES
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) seems to predominantly a risk if the ketogenic diet is started with a fast, and blood sugar levels should be checked every 6–8 hours during the first few days of the diet. Generally the ketogenic diet helps stabilize, and normalize blood sugar.
- Eat Every 3-4 Hrs: Eat every 3-4 hours when in the beginning stages of a ketogenic diet. This will help keep you satiated and blood sugar balanced.
- Hydrating and Mineral Rich Foods: Consume plenty of hydrating, mineral-rich foods and use salt: snack on celery, cucumbers.
- Use Magnesium Supplementation
- Drink Mineral Rich Drinks: Instead of plain water, drink mineral rich beverages between meals. This includes organic broths or an electrolyte drink.
To turn the basic liquid into an electrolyte or sports drink, add some or all of these ingredients:
- Salt – A high quality salt adds sodium and other minerals
- Calcium or Magnesium – Adding a high quality calcium magnesium powder helps replenish minerals
- Juice – Optional but adds sweetness and natural sugars if needed during exercise
- Natural Flavors –in the form of fresh ginger, fresh herbs
MENU FOR 7-DAY KETOGENIC DIET
Breakfast – bacon, tomato, and eggs
Lunch – olive oil, chicken meat and feta cheese salad
Dinner – steamed asparagus and grilled salmon, butter
Breakfast – basil, eggs, tomatoes and goat cheese
Lunch – almond milk, peanut butter, stevia, milkshake and cocoa butter
Dinner – veggies, meatballs, cheddar cheese
Breakfast – keto milkshake
Lunch – avocado, olive oil, and prawns
Dinner – broccoli salad, pork chops, Parmesan cheese
Breakfast – omelet with spices, onions, peppers, and avocado
Lunch – salsa celery, handful of nuts and guacamole
Dinner – cheese, steamed veggies and stuffed chicken
Breakfast – Omelet with tomatoes and cheese
Lunch – Use the leftovers from day #4
Dinner – salad, eggs, and mushrooms
Breakfast – omelet with veggies and ham
Lunch – Handful of nuts, ham, and cheese
Dinner – salad, eggs and beef steak
Breakfast – eggs with bacon and mushrooms
Lunch – guacamole and salsa cheese hamburger
Dinner – salad, eggs and beef steak
A FRIENDLY KETO DIET
If you’re interested in a bulletproof version of the keto diet, follow these five steps:
- Skip the carb refeed day. Bulletproof is a cyclical keto diet that puts your body in and out of ketosis once a week, to make the diet more sustainable and prevent common issues like dry eyes, cravings, and even unhealthy gut bacteria levels. But if you want to try full keto, increase your fat and limit your carbs. Aim for 70-85% of your calories from fat, every day.
- Remember that it might take up to two weeks for your body to make the shift from burning carbs and sugar to fat. The keto flu can leave you feeling tired, achy, and irritable, but it should pass. Stay the course and you should soon feel better than before you started. (One source claimed that keto flu is manageable: you just need more electrolytes, magnesium, potassium and sodium. Full adaptation takes more like 3 months; you won’t be able to exercise as hard until your body can provide energy quickly enough.)
- Monitor your ketone levels using urine strips, ketone breath meters, or blood meters.
- Be mindful of hidden carbs in sources like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cashews, chocolate, and leeks. Use a food tracker like MyKeto until you get clear on how much fat/carbs/protein you’re actually eating.
- Watch your protein intake. It’s common for people on keto to consume too much meat. More than 20-30% protein in your diet, and your body will begin to convert protein to sugar, which bumps you out of ketosis. Go for moderate protein with a high-fat sauce of your choice to tide you over.
THE QUESTION OF RISK
For those that have any number of mental health conditions, no one knows the long term effects of the ketogenic diet and they never will know because it is impossible to study diet scientifically over a long time (i.e. over 20 years). Yet, there is enough evidence to show it is a cure for epilepsy and migraine headaches on the short time basis, which are mental problems in nature.
“No one should be doing the ketogenic diet”: really??
The author referenced a 2013 systematic review of studies that found low-carbohydrate diets to be associated with an increased risk to cardiovascular health. The study quickly stated that this analysis is based on limited observational studies and large-scale trials. The study added:
- A positive cancer risk has been reportedly related to the intake of animal protein. (a non-argument)
- This diet could result in reduced intake of fiber and fruits. (a non-argument)
- The correlation between low-carbohydrate diets and all-cause death is not fully explained. (Further studies to clarify the mechanism are eagerly awaited.)
(Does that not sound like it came from a lobby that supports sugar and carbohydrates. (When you fly over your country do you not see fields of carb-filled grains?)
SOME OBVIOUS FACTS
A growing body of evidence has suggested that low-carbohydrate diets and their combination with high-protein diets are effective in weight loss. In light of the worldwide obesity epidemic and the widespread popularity of low-carbohydrate diets, there is a clinical importance for the control of weight.
The truth is that research shows saturated fats are easily metabolized and broken down when part of a low-carb diet. Therefore, it’s possible that high levels of saturated fat are only an issue when combined with lots of carbohydrates.If you still think that this is an issue, replace saturated fats with the monounsaturated fats – olive oil, avocado, and fish, which are all renowned for their health benefits.
This drastically low carb intake may appear to be challenging to maintain for most people: the total lack of grains, starches, or sugars. Yet when you select the alternative foods, Does this look like you are dieting?: a ham omelet with a sandwich of cheese and lots of fruit on the side.
The bottom line is YOUR OWN FAT! ( A slim friend of mine, who works at a funeral home, made the observation that most of those who had died were overweight.) The ketogenic diet is definitely an aid to diabetes because sugar and carbohydrates (5%) are kept to a very minimum.
THE REAL SPIRITUAL WORLD
This blog is oriented toward Christian messages and advice based on Biblical references, such as “Is the Bible True”. The message below was heard orally by a Catholic Missionary Priest, Fr. Melvin Doucette, who spent 40 years in Africa:
JESUS WISHES TO SPEAK TO YOU.
I WILL CHASE THAT DARKNESS AWAY.
“Be of good cheer My brother Melvin and all My brothers and sisters living in every part of the world. I want you all to be filled with joy for you are My friends. This is one of the gifts I give My friends.
If you are far from Me, you will feel empty and often depressed because My great gifts do not reach you. Your heart is filled with darkness and sin.
Repent then of all your sins and I will chase that darkness away and the light of joy will enter your heart. I often filled St. Paul’s spirit with My peace and joy for he was one of My greatest friends. He did My will every day. He was not fill with pride but was a humble man whose only wish was to bring all the people to Me and to have the experience he had of Me.
Today I am calling you all to take St. Paul to heart and to listen to him. Yes, there are trials while living on earth but do not let those bring you down. Come instead to Me and I will refresh you and fill you with My gifts. I have all power and I desire to help you if you remain with Me. I love you.”
The above messages came to Father Melvin Doucette:
Fr. Melvin Doucette was ordained to the priesthood on and joined the Missionaries of Africa for 29 years in Africa. In contemplative prayer every morning, Fr. Doucette receives by interior locution “messages from heaven” to share with the public.
Of course, there are those who say “I believe in Jesus Christ”, but they don’t affect the way they live. The answer is not that we now have to add hard work to our faith; rather, we haven’t truly understood or believed in Jesus at all.
Some people say that Jesus is just a crutch. They obviously have never had an encounter with Jesus.
Today’s people who live through near death experiences are talking about the same thing Jesus was talking about two thousand years ago.
Near Death Experience
The proof of heaven starts with thousands of people around the world who claim to have had near-death experiences. (NDEs).
God divinely inspired the BIBLE . How do we know? Each of eight accurate predictions show a high probability mathematically. The probability of one individual fulfilling eight prophecies have odds of 1 in 10 17 (1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000). Jesus Christ fulfilled all prophecies, therefore the Bible MUST BE TRUE.
The Old Testament indicates another 40 astonishing predictions.
Christianity experiences stunning growth—from approximately 3.8 million adherents in China in 1956 to an estimated 87 to 100 million Christians today.
In the end, one Christian conversion will benefit the whole family. The gifts of the Holy Spirit of healing and deliverance will help the whole family. A prayer of deliverance of evil spirits will leave any member of the family with a complete sense of peace immediately. A prayer of healing from a Christian disciple produces 80% healing. The remaining healing comes from continued prayer of praise and thanksgiving until all the healing is complete. This healing comes from the Holy Spirit through the power in the Name of Jesus Christ. No other god or deity or doctor uses this power. This proves the TRUTH OF CHRISTIANITY.
BILLIONS OF CHRISTIANS CAN’ T ALL BE WRONG!
Christianity is not a philosophy, but it is a relationship with God, your Creator, in Christ TODAY. It is not knowledge of abstract principles. How do we know this? Healing takes place TODAY in the Name of Jesus Christ.
Many Christian disciples use the gift of healing. They also use deliverance to deliver away evil spirits influencing people. These evil spirits cause depression, addictions and illness through all forms of stress. Only the Name of Jesus Christ makes healing and deliverance possible.
HOW IS JESUS STILL ALIVE TODAY?
Jesus is alive today! He heals today (through His followers) and in many cases it is realized immediately. How else can you explain the explosion of Christianity, the world’s largest religion, on earth: 2.2 billion adherents, nearly a third (31 percent) of all 6.9 billion people on Earth.
Christians know and feel His Presence; they communicate with Him personally; Christian prayers are always answered.
This author has been given the Gift of Healing only because he is a Christian Lay Missionary, who travels two to three places every year. On his last trip to Columbia he successfully transferred his Gift to his Spanish translators, who were able to heal as he did. He has healed Muslims to their great surprise.
He also delivers away evil spirits along with their healing. All those who are delivered from evil spirits feel a complete physical sense of peace.
DREAMS AND VISIONS
God can give a message to those non-Christians to change their heart. God knows faith will be developed eventually. God will come to you in the form of dreams or visions. So be sensitive to any dreams or visions, when you ask God for it earnestly.
HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN?
- Christians don’t shout, “I live a clean life!” Christians whisper “I feel lost, but now God found me and God forgives me.”
- Christians don’t speak with pride. They confess that they stumble and need Christ to be their guide.
- Christians don’t say,” I’m strong.” They say they try to be strong because they need strength.
- Christians don’t brag about success, but they admit that they fail and they need God to clean the mess.
- Christians don’t claim to be perfect, but God still believes in them.
- Christians still feel the sting of pain. They have their share of headaches but they still call upon His Name.
- Christians are not holier than others. They are simple sinners who receive God’s unbelievable Grace.
Christianity on a Table Napkin:
“If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
God the Father will wipe every tear from our eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, crying out or pain. We will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is The Holy Spirit will have made all things new. Eternal joy will begin. “For the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is His name.” Luke 1: 49
Are we not like Barabbas who was justly condemned for murder, but saved by the innocent Jesus on the cross? Are we not like the adulterous woman, deserving of death by stoning, to whom Jesus says, “I do not condemn you”? And Jesus saved them both. In fact, Jesus came to earth specifically to look for and save those who were lost, like you.
“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool”. Isaiah 1:18
You may need some counseling with a pastor, priest or competent Christian worker, who will introduce you to a Short Course on Who is Jesus? Start by reading a short biography of Jesus in the Gospel of Luke. Read several verses before going to bed and read the same verse upon arising. He will defend you from attacks of the enemy when you ask Him.
Healing and Deliverance (Ctrl + Click to follow Link)
- Abuse and Trauma
- A Vision of Hell
- Breaking Free of Controlling Spirits
- Can a Smart Person believe in God
- Cigarette and Drug Bust
- Deliverance from Depression
- Deliverance from Drugs and Addiction
- Deliverance from Prison
- Deliverance PowerPoint
- Divine Healing
- Do you Know an Alcoholic?
- Don’t be Afraid of Fear
- Gluttony is Not Merely Overeating
- God’s Protection and Blessing
- Healing and Deliverance General Information
- Healing and Deliverance Instructions
- Healing Hands: Father Melvin Doucette
- Healing of Relationships
- How to Keep Your Healing Once you have Received it
- Insomnia and Deliverance
- Jesus Cures a Blind Man at Bethsaida
- Joy and Sorrow
- Let’s Start
- Lust and its Brother Pornography
- Physical Healing
- Power of Healing
- Prisoner of Unforgiveness
- The Healing Power of Jesus
- The High Stakes of Gambling Addiction
- Three Ways of Self-Deliverance
- Ungodly Soul Ties
- Ungodly Superstitious Beliefs
- Your Part
Where do we go from here?
- 12 Functions of the Holy Spirit
- At the Name of Jesus every Knee should Bow
- Baptized in the Spirit: Being Born Again
- Born Again for Dummies
- Does God have a Special Place in His Heart for Canada?
- Embracing the Call
- From Sea to Sea: Nations keeping God’s Law
- God Wants You!
- God’s Will for YOU
- I Can’t Find God: an Anguish Cry!
- I Have a Right to my own Opinion
- Is there Life after Death?
- JESUS IS MY LORD
- Jesus Says to Come to Me – I Will Make You Happy.
- Joy and Sorrow
- Knowing God
- Life After Near-Death Experiences
- Life can be wonderful but brief
- Living in Glory
- Meditation and Contemplation
- Pathway to Holiness
- Release in the Spirit
- Something Wonderful is about to Happen!
- Spirituality for Dummies
- Suffering does not Rob you of Joy
- The Blood of Jesus Christ
- The Difference between Christianity
- The Faith Factor: We Cannot Please God without Faith:.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT: the Principal Agent of Mission
- The Life and Person of the Holy Spirit
- The Name of Jesus
- The Million Dollar Question
- The Person and Work of The Holy Spirit
- THE PROPHETIC FULFILLMENT
- The Seven Words of Jesus on the Cross
- The Word of God
- Trauma and Abuse
- We Reap what We Sow
- Welcome to God
- What Does God Really Want?
- What does it mean to be HOLY?
- What Is the Difference Between Spirit and Soul?
- What’s Your SQ?
- Who Am I In Christ?
- Who do they say that I am?
- Why Pray?
- World Missions
- Would you like to be Baptized in the Holy Spirit?
OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS:
- A Micro Hydro Electric System: no dams: HugENERGY.us
- An Irrigation System: NORTHydro.com
- A Rabbit and Fish Farm: AfriCAPITALISM.us
- An Agroforestry Intercrop System: LivingWaterIs.com
- The Charitable Arm: SunnyUp.net
- Living Water Micro Finance: LivingWaterMicroFinance.org
- Thunder of Justice: ThunderofJustice.com
- Deliverance Is: Deliveranceis.com
Please send this document to others who speak different languages. Ask them to click on the application called, “TRANSLATE TO SPREAD THE WORD!” at top of the page.