CONTROLLING SPIRITS & DELIVERANCE
One must break free from the Bondage of a Controlling Spirits. “…Oppressors seek after my soul: they have not set God before them.” Psalm 54:3 A person who has a controlling spirit, will try to control everyone around them, control their lives, decisions; and will in general do everything to have influence and power. They want to control their lives, and the lives of those around them, to get things their way. Deliverance may be required.
WHAT IS DELIVERANCE?
Deliverance is defined as “a rescue from bondage or danger.” Deliverance is often sought from evil spirits or the spirit of lust, jealousy, etc. We are told to “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith.” 1 Peter 5:8,9
All aspects of deliverance are available only through the person and work of Jesus Christ:” When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, ‘Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!’” Luke 10:17
DO YOU NEED DELIVERANCE?
To determine if you are in need of deliverance, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you continually argumentative or contrary–usually on the verge of anger?
- Are you violating, neglecting or causing pain in a relationship?
- Are you practicing sin and can’t seem to stop?
- Do you see a pattern of issues in your family, whether disease, poverty, anger, divorce, sexual perversion or other issues?
- You are sick all the time and the doctors find nothing wrong. You could be dealing with a spirit of infirmity?
- Are you having “spiritual” encounters, including recurring dreams/nightmares that you leave you fearful?
- Do you sometimes sense that the problem isn’t you, but rather something in you?
- Are you attracted to the occult. , e.g. Ouija Boards, Seance, Fortune Telling, Horoscopes, Hypnosis etc, or Witchcraft?
- Have you experienced traumatic events that have impacted your life negatively?
- Do you keep hitting the same wall.
Now, we need to realize that there is a difference between one with a take charge ability and one with a controlling spirit. They are not the same thing. Many godly people are qualified people who know how to motivate others to work, and how to get things done. Those lead and control situations and needs in a godly manner.
Conversely, an oppressive controlling spirit wants power, and they will get it any way the can in order to advance their cause. They enjoy controlling others. They have a Jekyll and Hyde nature: vindictive in private, but innocent and charming in front of witnesses. This Hyde side is frequently described as “evil”. These angry people are clearly selfish. They also appear compassionate and well-meaning.
Like most emotional problems, there is a wide range of controlling “Hyde” personalities, but generally the Hyde side exhibits the following characteristics:
- a control freak and has a compulsive need to control everyone and everything you say, do, think and believe; and aggressively maintains the right to talk about anything they choose.
- unable to trust others – this partly explains the compulsion for excessive monitoring.
- quick to blame others.
- often misses social cues.
- appears to invite suggestions, yet these sociopaths inwardly dismiss each idea without considering its merits.
- financially irresponsible.
- insecure and sees others as a threat; the threat seems to comprise a fear of exposure of inadequacy.
- has no listening skills, ignores and overrules you.
- has an inability to form stable relationships.
- does not learn from experience.
- holds deep prejudice (e.g. against other cultures and religious beliefs, foreigners, etc) but goes to great lengths to keep this aspect of their personality secret.
- often has an overwhelming, unhealthy and narcissistic attention-seeking need to portray themselves as a wonderful, kind, caring and compassionate person.